Rainbows are illusions, what?
Chuck
2017-04-17 00:36:27 UTC
I read somewhere that the rainbow is an illusion because it is nothing more than the reflection of light through water droplets which produces the color. So what? My eyes see that color and it’s very real to me and therefore so is the rainbow. If I was to harbor this logic that purports a rainbow is an illusion base on these facts then I would also have to conclude that natural light (sunlight) itself is an illusion because its created by virtue of gravity forcing two atoms of hydrogen to merge into one atom of helium and that process known as fusion causes a release of energy which produces light. The rainbow is as real as light because it is light albeit separated into the various wavelengths that make up light and it serves as a reminder that God will not destroy life on earth again by flood and that’s his covenant with all life on earth –
Genesis 9:14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud.
This topic of the bow (referring to a rainbow) and covenant is covered in Genesis 9:8 – 17. Now I realize that my argument could be easily countered with the aspect of the mirage and I’d have to agree that this is in fact an illusion, but to me this wouldn’t be comparing apples to apples because one is an optical illusion caused by a curvature of the light where no other element is involved. With the rainbow however this is not the case. The water the light is passing through is causing a prism effect which produces the spectrum of colors so the two aren’t fairly comparable. Even Wikipedia points out that a rainbow is an optical illusion, but I find that to be merely the observer’s point of view and their opinion. Because of the Biblical significant introduction the rainbow is far more than mere optics IMHO of course.
d***@gmail.com
2017-06-04 11:23:28 UTC
Rainbows are visions, they're only illusions, and rainbows have nothing to hide.
Chuck
2017-06-05 01:07:05 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Rainbows are visions, they're only illusions, and rainbows have nothing to hide.
Thanks for the response which is very rare these days. I don’t know what it had to do with the subject however. I was referring to the light that makes a rainbow not the tribe of folks that gather which is what you appear to be referring to.